Thursday, September 6, 2012

Curried Cauliflower with Tomatoes


Over the summer I ate at Trade and had the best side dish, curried cauliflower. I tried to recreate it, but it came out nothing like the one at Trade. It was still good, just very different.  I searched and searched the Internet for recipes and found dozens, all different. So I combined a few and made up my own recipe. This one was a bit drier and much spicier, but made a great side dish to the chicken I made for dinner. 



Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 head cauliflower (about 1 pound) , cut into florets
2 Tablespoons curry powder (recipe follows or use store bought spice)
1 Tablespoon ginger
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
¼ cup raisins (I didn’t have any in the house)
¼ cup Greek yogurt, for dipping (optional)

Curry Powder:
2 tablespoons coriander
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoon cardamom
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
1 tablespoon turmeric


1.     Mix the curry powder, ginger, lemon juice and red wine vinegar in a small bowl.

2.     Sauté the cauliflower over medium heat in olive oil, for about 10 minutes, until it begins to brown.

3.     Stir in the curry powder, lemon juice and red wine vinegar mixture. Mix well.


4.     Add the tomatoes.


5.     Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

6.     Serve warm or at room temperature with a side of Greek Yogurt. I used the Greek yogurt as a ‘dipping sauce’ because I found this recipe to be extremely spicy. I also added a little more lemon juice to the yogurt and the cauliflower on my plate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment