Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Dinner at The Fireplace


My cousin gave me a gift certificate for The Fireplace and I was waiting for a special occasion to use it, and we finally decided to go this past weekend. Ok, so we didn’t actually go on Valentine’s Day because I had class, and I had to give a presentation, but we went on Saturday to celebrate Valentine’s Day and I have to say I loved it!

We were seated in the back corner and I felt like we had our own private dinning area. The ambience is very warm and romantic. It’s much bigger in the inside than it seems from the outside. The tables are very close together, but just far enough away that we couldn’t hear the conversation at the next table. We were near the open kitchen and it was cool to see the chef’s work.

Our waitress Christina was great. She was so quick to bring out my gluten free roll and explain any questions we had on the menu. She was very attentive without being overbearing.

The gluten free roll was phenomenal. It was actually the tastiest gluten free roll I’ve ever tried. The texture was exactly like a rolls should be and not grainy or fake tasting like so many gluten free bread products.

They have an extensive gluten free menu, with so many interesting and creative looking dishes that use seasonal and fresh New England ingredients.  My mouth was watering just reading the menu and I was having a hard time deciding what to get. There was also a special Valentine’s Day menu, but the prices were outrageous ($46 I don’t think so!).

I decided on the Black & Pink Pepper-Crusted Salmon served with crushed hazelnut bok choy sauté and vegetable barley. Barley of course is not gluten free, so I was able to pick a different side from their list of gluten free sides. As with all dishes, if it comes with a gluten containing side you can substitute it for anything you want! I told my boyfriend to order anything he wanted, most of the time he does order gluten free so I can try and of course he did this time too. His roasted maple glazed half chicken was to die for, and it was a HUGE portion. The outside was nice and crispy and the meat so succulent and juicy, yum! It also came with mashed potatoes that were so rich and buttery. One bite and I was done. And the best part, I got to take home his leftovers!!



Now lets get back to the Salmon. It was cooked to perfection and the seasoning was so good. I never cook with salt and I could definitely taste it, but wasn’t overpowering, and it was just a few bites that it really hit me. The combination of pepper and spices was excellent; I ate the whole thing. The black lentil sauté was outstanding. All the flavors of the dishes came together so nicely. 

Next time I want to try one of the appetizers and I will definitely be going back soon for brunch, which I heard is one of the best brunches in the city and that they have amazing biscuits. Our waitress also told me that they do have gluten free cupcakes and brownies, which are frozen, and for $8 I’d rather buy two freshly baked cupcakes from wholefoods next door. But then again, the roll was frozen and it was the best gluten free roll I’ve ever had (sorry Legal Seafood, The Fireplace beats you on this one).

Two entrees and a bottle of wine cost us $90.  All in all it was a bit expensive, but we had a great night and really enjoyed ourselves, and our meals. I highly recommend The Fireplace for a special dinner or just a really terrific gluten free meal.

Definitely make a reservation if you plan on going on the weekend. In the summer they set up a few tables on the sidewalk so you can enjoy a meal al fresco.  

Location: 1634 Beacon Street  Brookline, MA 02446 (C Line to Washington Square)

1 comment: