Monday, February 20, 2012

Banana Muffins

 These delicious banana muffins are easy to make.

I always buy more bananas than I can eat before they go bad, but sometimes I do this on purpose so it gives me an excuse to cook. Banana breads and muffins are two of my most favorite things to bake and eat.

I did some plain, some with walnuts and some with raisins. The muffins came out so moist despite the fact there is less sugar and butter than normally called for in a muffin recipe.

Sometimes I have a hard time with muffins sticking to the sides of the muffin cups, but these ones came out perfectly. I brought them to work and they were gone within the hour. Luckily I was smart enough to save a couple for myself at home. :)

Ingredients


1 cup flour
1/4 cup oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 small-medium sized mashed bananas
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar (I would guess regular brown sugar works fine too)
1 egg
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon water (or milk)
1/2 cup raisins, chocolate chips or walnuts (optional)


* These muffins are plenty sweet for me, but if you are used to sweeter breakfast foods than you might want to add a little more sugar. The original recipe calls for 3 bananas, 1/3 butter and 3/4 cup total sugar. I reduced the amount of butter and sugar and added two more bananas. Still plenty sweet and very moist.

Directions

             1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
             2. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers. 
                I suggest using muffin papers. Much easier and less messy cleanup. 
             3. In a large bowl mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg.

4. In a separate bowl beat with an electric mixer, or by hand, the mashed bananas, 
melted butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla extract.


5. Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture and stir until mixed will.


6. Add any additional ingredients (raisins, walnuts, etc.) 
7. Spoon into muffin pan and bake for 18-20 minutes.


I tried to add a crumb topping (cinnamon and sugar) to a few of the muffins but it did not crystallize like I wanted it to. Maybe if I had added a little butter or water it would have helped? 

 

I love hearing your comments and feed back (and typo corrections!) So if you ever try any of my recipes, please let me know what you think! Even if you make your own slight variations I'd love to hear how yours come out. ~ thanks, Jess.

No comments:

Post a Comment