Sunday, February 19, 2012

Apple Glazed Vegetables and Edamame


I came across this recipe in my search of how I could use up some of my apples and frozen edamame. This recipe sounded good and the pictures looked even better, fresh veggies, bright colors, I just had to make it. The original recipe is here.

It was tangy yet sweet and I loved the infused apple flavor.  This dish has just the right amount of sweetness and spice. No one flavor overpowered the others.  

My version did not come out looking anything like the original one but it was so delicious! I used fresh apples, which I pureed in a food processor with a little water and apple cider vinegar until it was applesauce consistency. I also omitted the optional sugar, it was plenty sweet from the apples and I'm glad I did this.

This was more than enough for my sister and I. I ended up enough left overs for almost 2 whole meals.

Ingredients:
4 cups diced vegetables (sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower, celery, onions are what I used.  Or try any veggie you have on hand)
1/2 cup applesauce (or puree an apple, with skin, in a food processor)
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1/2 garlic clove)
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar (I used both)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 cup edamame beans

Directions:
1. Cook edamame in a saucepan according to package directions
2. Spray non-stick skillet with cooking spray and add the vegetables.  Cook, covered on high heat, for about 5-6 minutes. * If using potatoes I recommend putting those in first, before the other veggies for 2 or 3 minutes.
3. While the vegetables are cooking, combine all remaining ingredients (except edamame) in a bowl and stir. 
4. Add the mixture to the vegetables and stir to coat.  

5. Reduce the heat to medium-low or low heat and allow vegetables to simmer for another 5-10 minutes or until tender.  (I let mine cook for 10-12 minutes) The sauce will reduce and thicken. 
6. Add in edamame, stir, and serve warm plain or over rice.

I used whole apples and pureed them in a food processor. The dish came out a little ‘heavy’ on the applesauce, but that is because we ‘’accidentally’’ used more than ½ of the apple puree. 

You could easily substitute the edamame for tofu, which I would add into the dish at the same time as you add the mixture, chicken or beef. 

No comments:

Post a Comment