Thursday, August 30, 2012

Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes (aka Mashed Cauliflower)



 My Aunt Cindy makes these at Thanksgiving. It started a few years ago when she was on the Atkins diet and she continued to make both regular mashed potatoes and these, because we (mostly me) liked them so much! I don’t eat mashed potatoes, I’ve never liked them, but this mashed cauliflower has so much flavor and I just absolutely love them!

In order to keep them a little chunky use a potato masher instead of a blender. If you like your mashed potatoes smooth, use the blender. 


Ingredients:

Raw Cauliflower – a medium head makes about a pound of florets
1 Tablespoon cream cheese softened
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese  (I use a little less)
¼ teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1 teaspoon chicken base or bouillon, you may substitute
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 teaspoon Chives, chopped

1.     Separate the florets and chop the core finely
2.     Steam until tender (or microwave to save time). It is tender once you can easily pierce it with a fork, about 12-15 minutes. You can also boil the cauliflower for 6 minutes.
3.    Drain well but do not let cool.
4.    In a food processor, pulse the hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, Parmesan, garlic, chicken bouillon, and pepper until almost smooth. Pulse for even less time if you like your ''potatoes'' chunkier.     
5.     Garnish with chives and serve warm.

This will make about 4 servings.

1 comment:

  1. Well. There's a few more ingredients in there than I anticipated when I read "Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes", expecting it to have just those 2 ingredients (and maybe a pinch of salt). But to my surprise it contains a whole host of delicious ingredients to amp up the flavor. In fact, I don't think your title does it justice. I would go for something more along the line of 'Not Your Mom's Mashed Potato'!

    ReplyDelete