Sunday, May 6, 2012

Yellow Cake


Today is my boyfriends' birthday and I wanted to buy him a cupcake or small treat but I could not find a single, not pre-packaged pack of 4, gluten free cupcakes. There are no gluten free bakeries around me, unfortunately. So any bakers in Brookline reading this, please start offering gluten free desserts in your bakeries or stores! He isn’t on a gluten free diet but he doesn’t really like sweets and I knew he was going to offer to split it with me. So I decided to make my own cake. This was my first attempt at making a gluten free cake from scratch and it came out pretty good! For my cake I cut the recipe in half to make a small cake. The only recommendation I have from the recipe below (which I adapted from Aruthur’s) is to add a little more sugar, the cake is not that sweet. BUT it is still very tasty and not overly sweet like those premade cakes you buy in grocery stores that taste like an entire box of sugar was dumbed into it.  

Why is my cake green? I tried to write “26” on it but my cake decorating skills are very below average and it came out horrible. Not being able to wipe if off completely I just put a layer of green frosting on the whole cake and added coconut flakes to the top (he really likes coconut)



Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
½ cup butter
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (I like to use Bob's Red Mill)
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ cup milk


1.     Preheat oven to 350F. I set my temperature to 325F and it came out nice and golden.
2.     In a large mixing bowl cream together the sugar and the butter until it is smooth.
3.     Beat in the eggs using an electric beater or a whisk. Add in the vanilla extract and milk and mix well.
4.     Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl to mix together. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix well.
5.     Bake 30 – 40 minutes. mine was in for just under 35 minutes.
6.     Let cool before you frost. I used Pillsbury Whipped Supreme Fluffy White. Pillsbury labels their frosting gluten free now!

No comments:

Post a Comment