Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Cottage - Chestnut Hill

The Cottage was packed on Sunday night! I was surprised how busy it was to be honest. I hadn't heard much about it, I think it is relatively new. I love the ambiance and decor, it reminded me of being at home in Duxbury. Every time I looked out the window I was expecting to see the ocean, not Route 9, but what are you gonna do?

They have a nice (and big) gluten free menu with a variety of options for lunch and dinner.


We started with the Nacho appetizer. Although not on the gluten free menu we ordered nachos anyways. The corn chips are fried in the same oil as other menu items containing gluten; this is the reason why they are not on the gluten free menu. For those of you with serious allergies, I wouldn't dare, but I felt fine after.  The nachos were so good! Topped with jack and cheddar cheese,  spiced sour cream and a homemade pico de gallo and guacamole.  They didn’t skimp on the guacamole, and it was delicious!I love nachos and these definitely pasted the test of excellent flavor and amount of toppings.

For my entrée I ordered the Chicken and Wild Rice Risotto, with fresh peas, chicken tenders and fresh, shaved Parmesan cheese. The risotto was only somewhat creamy, this is a good thing in my book, and very flavorful. The wild rice gave it a little crunch, maybe a little under cooked but it tasted pretty good and added nice texture to the dish. The chicken was just ok, it was a little dry.


Jeremy, my boyfriend, ordered the Grilled Salmon, also on the gluten free menu. It was served with a citrus salsa verde, chile scented rice and an agave nectar sauce with fresh pineapple. It was cooked to perfection (medium) and so delicious! I liked it better than my own meal.

The salads also look delicious, Shrimp & Lump Crab with hearts of palm, avocado, and tomato in a lemon-basil dressing. Next time I may try this.

They also have gluten free dinner rolls, which tasted like chemicals, so don’t even bother. And bread for sandwiches, which I have not tried and forgot to ask what brand it is.

I’ve been told the lunch is better than the dinner. I was not disappointed with the dinner and I would love to try one of their sandwiches. Maybe the Jumbo Lump Crab Melt or Mahi Fish Tacos, yum! 


Location:  47 Boylston Street Chestnut Hill, MA 02467

There are two other locations - Wellesley, MA and La Jolla, CA.  The Wellsley location has a gluten free menu, the La Jolla location does not and the menu is very different, so I would check up on that before, and if, you venture out to the one in Cali.

No comments:

Post a Comment