Saturday, March 10, 2012

Mini Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies



These cookies are delicious. I used an old oatmeal raisin recipe I had gotten from the top of a Quaker Oats container and made a few changes. I always add more vanilla extract and cinnamon to recipes when I bake, and I love using bananas. Replacing some of the butter with bananas gives the cookies just a hint of banana flavor, while reducing the amount of fat (not a bad trade off). Replacing butter with bananas doesn't always work in cookies (be ware!) but if you replace only a little, sometimes you get amazing results, just like these cookies below. I say this with a little hesitation because I know not everyone will think these are amazing. For one, they are very small, which means you can have two or three :) and I know there are hundreds of delicious cookie recipes out there I have yet to make, but for now these are still one of my all time favorite cookies.

I also used mini chocolate chips for the first time, and I think I like this so much better. The chocolate chips are more evenly spread out throughout the cookies.

The outsides are nice and crispy and the insides are soft and chewy, just the way I like them. 

Recipe: (makes 24 mini cookies)

3 Tablespoons butter, softened
½ small banana
½ cup brown sugar
3 Tablespoons white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 ½ cups Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter, banana, and sugars on medium speed until creamy.
3. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
4. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, and cinnamon; mix well.
5. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture; mix well.
6. Add in oats and mini chocolate chips; mix well.
7. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
8. Bake 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown.
9. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet then transfer to wire rack. Cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment