Saturday, March 3, 2012

Jimmy's Bar and Oven



I've been wanting to go to Jimmy's since it opened this past summer and I found out they served gluten free pizza. Well, we finally went.
I like the atmosphere here, it's modern, very different from anywhere else in Washington Square. Great place to watch a game, have a drink, and enjoy a 'classic' bar appetizer or better yet, a pizza. I don’t think they are known for their entrees, the pizzas yes, but I’m not so sure about the other gluten free items. (Jimmy’s has received rave reviews about the pasta dishes and chicken parm, BUT we can’t eat these). 

We had a groupon so we needed to spend $40. We ordered two pizzas and the grilled marinated chicken with vegetables. The gluten free pizzas reminded me more of a flatbread than pizza, and the white pizza lacked a certain ‘’pizza’ flavor, but I still enjoyed it very much. The pizzas are more gourmet and [seem] healthier than the typical pizza you find at Upper Crust or Papa Gino’s.

My favorite was The White Pizza with goat cheese, pears, figs and arugula. Our waiter said it was their most popular pizza and I can understand why, it was delicious! The crust was cooked to perfection. It could have been a little crispier, but now I’m just being super picky. But besides that, this is by far one of the best gluten free pizzas I’ve ever had (Bill's Pizzeria, although expensive, is my all time favorite). The combination of figs, goat cheese and arugula is classic. The creamy goat cheese and spicy arugula pair nicely with the sweetness of the figs and pear. The figs were so soft and it was easy to tell that all the ingredients were fresh. And they do not skimp on the toppings at all! This is the best part, the pizza's were loaded with toppings!


We also ordered the Grilled Chicken Pizza; chicken, mushrooms, spinach and red sauce. I liked the combination, it had a nice flavor, but the dough was so undercooked. It was rubbery and chewy, kind of gross. I don’t get how one crust could be cooked so great and the other not at all?
We each only had one piece, no one being fond of the dough, so the next day I decided to cook it a little more, to see if it would help, and it did. The crust tasted much better; much crispier and not rubbery at all. Before I put it in the oven I took off the chicken, so it wouldn’t over cook and dry out.

The third dish we ordered was the Marinated Grilled Chicken and vegetables. Both my dad and his girlfriend like it, but I thought it was way too buttery. The first bite I took, of a piece of broccoli, I got a mouthful of butter and oil. I was completely disgusted and turned off. The chicken itself was actually good; not overcooked and nicely seasoned with spices and herbs. But the dish itself, the actual plate, was oozing with butter and the vegetables were drenched. I would never order this again.
The presentation was lacking as well.

I am definitely going back once the weather is nice and they open up the front windows. I did love the arugula pizza and I can't wait to try some of the others while enjoying one of their signature cocktails with the windows open, and maybe a game on tv.

The prices are reasonable. Pizzas range from $12-$14, entrees $9-$18.

My one disappointment is a few months ago I was told they would soon be offering gluten free pasta. Well, they have decided not to carry it at all.

Other gluten free menu options:
Steak
Salmon
Potato Fries (**fried in the same fryer as everything else)
Salads
Eggplant Appetizer
Most pizzas, excluding pepperoni 

Location 1653 Beacon St. Brookline (Washington Square, C Green Line)

No comments:

Post a Comment