Thursday, December 3, 2009

Thai Yellow Curry Chicken Soup


After my recent trip to Asia I fell in love with Thai food. Two of my favorite dishes were Tom Kha Gai (coconut milk soup) and Yellow Chicken Curry. So I decided to combine the two and make a yellow curry paste and coconut milk soup with chicken. I like the yellow curry because it is less spicy than other varities of curry, but I'm sure the recipe would work with any type of curry paste. This is a very quick and easy recipe to make! This recipe makes about 4 servings.

Ingredients:
2 cup water
2 cup coconut milk
4 Tablespoons Yellow Curry Paste
1 inch fress ginger, thinly sliced
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks (or shrimp)
2 stalks lemongrass
1 onion, cut into big chuncks
1 tomato, cut into bite size peices
1 cup broccoli
1/3 cup sliced carrots
1/3 cup sliced celery

In a medium sized sauce pan add water and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add the yellow curry paste. Stir. Add vegetables, ginger and meat. (You can use any vegetables you would like, mushrooms, potatoes, bell peppers). Cook until meat is cooked thoroughly, stirring occasionally. Serve warm.

I've made this recipe twice. The first time I used coconut milk and the second time I used lite coconut milk. The first came out thicker than when I made it with lite coconut milk. But if you are on a low-fat diet than use the lite. I also added a handful of coconut flakes to the soup, I don't think I could really taste the added coconut though. I've also used cherry tomatoes in place of plum tomatoes. You can really use almost any vegetable you like!
 I've made this recipe with leftover thanksgiving turkey meat, which was precooked and it came out great! It didn't need to be cooked as long when I used already cooked meat. I added the vegetables first and cooked for about 3 minutes then added the turkey until the it was warmed all the way through and the brooth was hot.

In Thailand we were always served a side of rice with our meals. Adding plain white rice to the soup also tastes great! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment