Friday, December 4, 2009

Low Fat Gluten Free Banana Bread

I had a few bananas in my fridge that were begining to turn brown so I decided to make my favorite, gluten free banana bread. I love this recipe and I always sprinkle a little extra cinnamon and nutmeg on the top before I put the bread in the oven. This recipe calls for half of the sugar and fat used in most banana bread recipes I have made before. But it is still moist and sweet, no one would even know the difference! For extra sweetness add chocolate chips and if you like a crunch add nuts! Sometimes I even add both, I make half a loaf with chocolate chips for my mom and half with walnuts, which I love. Sometimes I substitute the chocolate chips and walnuts for raisins.


Ingredients:


• 1 cup brown rice flour
• 1/3 cup tapioca flour
• 2 Tablespoons flax seeds
• 3 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp nutmeg
• 1 tsp ginger
• 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 3 over-ripe bananas (should equal at least 1 1/2 cup of mashed banana)
• 1/4 c sugar
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or chocolate chips (optional)
• 1/3 cup melted butter
• 2 eggs



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Grease a medium sized bread pan

Mix together all the dry ingredients except for sugar

Add the chopped nuts or chocolate chips if you are using them.

Mix the wet ingredients, including the bananas and the sugar. Use a food processor or electric mixer, which I use and it works just fine. If you don't have one of those, mash the bananas, then whisk in the other wet ingredients

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix lightly with just a few strokes

Pour the mixture evenly into the greased bread pan. I always sprinkle a little extra cinnamon and nutmeg on top before I place it in the oven

Bake for 40 min, middle of the oven, until browned & a toothpick comes out clean. The first time I baked it for 45 minutes and it came out a little drier than I would have liked. I reduced the cooking time by 5 minutes and the bread was a little bit more moist. Another way to mositen the mixture if you do not have enough bananas is to add a little bit of water to the wet ingredients.

Cool on a rack in the pan for 5 minutes, then take it out of the pan and let it cool on a cooling rack. I love to eat this when it is still warm with just a tad of butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment